Monday, March 03, 2014

His 40th Day

I was about to leave for the airport that December morning. A Kong was in a deep sleep and refused to open his eyes no matter how I called and squeezed his hand.

The caretaker said that I should just go and she'd tell him I said goodbye, 但是我不服气, A Kong 怎能不跟我说再见。And there was that lingering thought that anytime now, could be my last encounter with him.

My mom came to rush me to the car, and in the next few minutes, we managed to wake him and squeezed in a quick prayer, a kiss and a goodbye. And i thank God, because He knew me, and He knew i would be regretful otherwise.

A Kong is my last grandparent, and somehow, his funeral felt the most peaceful compared to my other grandparents'.

Maybe it's the white and yellow flowers that were strewn prettily on top of fresh soil; the rectangular piece of land looked like a mini summer garden, and it reminds me of weddings with flower girls and their petals.

Actually there were other moments when I thought the ritual was somehow like a wedding. Like seeing how almost everyone flew back home from different parts of the world, or like how the family trailed him down the church aisle, or like how there's so much white.

But one other reason that made everything felt so peaceful was the hope that he's gone to be with my grandma, and that there are better things ahead of them.

I suppose weddings are also like that- it's meant to be the beginning of better things ahead (of course you might totally disagree on that, since 1. if funerals are like -- > weddings, it means that 2. weddings are like--> funerals. ie, it's the end of you.)

And so, as the family prepares for his 40th-day service, i think of him in his younger days with my grandma, on a pretty garden full of flowers, where all his children are rounded together, and his grandchildren loud and running.

No comments: